Thursday, March 02, 2006
HOORAY!!!
All of the apostilled documents came from Richmond today and after making copies of everything...I am happy to announce that EVERYTHING has been Fedexed to Russia and should get there on Monday. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my chest and I can move onto the deciding what to pack and what we don't need.

We still need to get our passports and visas back in the mail, but we have 6 more days to get those, so I am not worried (yet)...

Packing...my husband doesn't do it...ever. Even if we are just going away for a weekend trip. Well, I guess he would do it in a crunch, but then he would end up with one pair of socks for 4 days. I went out yesterday and bought us each a new pair of jeans that will actually look nice if we have to wear them a couple days in a row while in Russia. We are both going to look like Americans because we both LOVE wearing tennis shoes and rarely wear anything else. Well, we will wear boots if there is a lot of snow in winter or I will wear flip-flops in summer if I feel like showing my feet that day (my fear of feet is an entirely different story).

So, we have a few items/donations for the orphanage...clothes, medicines, socks, etc. We need to get some gifts for our host family, the orphange director and the workers. Anyone out there have any ideas? When we traveled over last time, the facilitator and translator looked at us like we were crazy for getting them chocolates & coffees. HELP!!

I also bought some of the new "Airborne" medicine to try because I always get sick after flying. There is no proof that this stuff works, but I am willing to try anything...

Please leave comments with ideas of what to bring for gifts...and if you live in my area and would like to donate items for the orphanage, let me know and I will tell you what they need.

~ gaye
6 Comments:
Blogger Lauri said...
For gifts...Im making up gift bags... I bought memo pads, journals, classical relaxation cd's, mini chocolate boxes, and votive candles and Im making four substansial bags for the director,social worker, caretaker,judge( I pray its a woman)

I have around 10 miniboxes of chocolates wrapped to give to various people.. staff at orphanage,translators, drivers, etc.... and I have some pretty boxed soaps for the agency coordinators. I did not have a ton to spend...

Im packing the bags& tissue paper and im gonna make them up in Russia- I looked for things that were easy to pack....we will shop for the orphanage once we are there.

Hope that helps...remember to take comfy shoes...

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Thanks for the great ideas,Lauri...I love the idea of gift bags. Did you give gifts on your last trip over there as well? Or just this time? Did you get any particular brand of chocolate?

~ gaye

Blogger Elle said...
So far I have bought a hand made scarf for the orphanage director, a hand turned wood pen for our coordinator, make-up cases for the translators and I am making up gift bags for the orphanage staff. I am making them aprons and including Famous Fair Scone Mix (that I have to translate the directions and measurements for) and little jars of jam. The NW if famous for jam. I am also including some post cards of our area.

Russians love anything from your particular region. No matter how cheesy to you they will love it. This is from much experience with Russians over the years. Local stuff is always a hit.

Also, be cautious when purchasing stuff for the judge. In our particular region this is a HUGE no no! Our coordinator flipped out when a family brought a gift for the judge in the last batch of court dates.

Good luck. I you need any other advice let me know.

Blogger Jennefer said...
That is a relief when you can send off your paperwork! You are not alone with the packing thing, M doesn't pack either. I have always thought that was rather strange - don't they care what they wear???

Anyway, as far as gifts our agency recommended the following (on the initial trips):
For orphange directors, caregivers- perfume, pen/pencil sets, wallets, towels, scarf, pin, lotions, candy, makeup, soaps

For representatives and translators (on the final trip)- money in a card, baseball caps, make-up, perfume, English DVDs or CDs, Towels, Pen/ pencil sets, English books, American magazines

They said no money can be given to a government employee (orphanage directors, caregivers, social workers)but you can give money in a card to your driver on all trips

No gifts for judges or employees of Ministry of Education

Sorry so long!

Blogger Lauri said...
Gaye

No we did not give gifts on trip one, besides tipping the drivers, im taking all gifts for trip 2. I got Mrs. Feilds cookie concoctions chocolates- really decadant and 3 to a box- small and easy to pack- got em at target.
Lisa-Good to know about not giving a gift to the judge
thanks fo rthe heads up- i will be sure to ask about that in our region

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Thanks to everyone for their ideas for gifts...you guys are the greatest. :) gaye